FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18CF0329
Date: November 5, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced to 10 years in state prison for pimping four women and trafficking one in Irvine.
Defendant: Sal Alexander Lorenzana, 41, South Gate
Pleaded guilty on Nov. 2, 2018, to the following felony counts:
- (4) Pimping
Sentence: 10 years in state prison
Lorenzana is a human trafficker/pimp who exploits women for financial gain. With the rise in popularity of social media and ease of meeting people on the Internet, many pimps and human traffickers utilize a variety of social media to locate potential victims. Pimps often establish rigid rules their victims are expected to follow including requiring victims to speak only when spoken to, address the pimp as “Sir” or “Daddy,” assigning seats in the car based on “rank,” and setting daily quotas the victims are expected to fulfill. The victims are required to turn over some or all of the payments they receive for sex acts from sex purchasers to their pimp. Failure to follow these rules can result in deprivation of food and/or physical and/or emotional abuse.
Circumstances of the Case
- In 2016 and 2017, Lorenzana pimped Jane Doe 2, 3, and 4 by posting sexually explicit ads of the victims on websites known for soliciting prostitution.
- The defendant set up “dates” for these victims and collected a portion of the payments they received.
Between May 1, 2017 and Jan. 24, 2018, Lorenzana trafficked and pimped 35-year-old Jane Doe.
In 2017, Jane Doe 1 and her daughter moved in with the defendant. Shortly after, Lorenzana required Jane Doe to work for him.
- A few weeks later, the defendant kicked Jane Doe 1 out of his home, but still required she work for him. When the victim refused, Lorenzana threatened to harm her.
- The defendant kept a portion of the money made by the victim and controlled how, when, and where she worked.
- On Jan. 24, 2018, the Irvine Police Department (IPD), who investigated this case, set up a “date” with Jane Doe 1 at a motel in Irvine.
- On Jan. 26. 2018, Lorenzana was arrested by IPD in South Gate.
- IPD discovered Jane Doe 2, 3, and 4 during the subsequent investigation.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Bradley Schoenleben, HEAT Unit