Case # 18WF2186
Date: October 4, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A woman was charged today with the special circumstances murder of her 92-year-old mother for financial gain in Huntington Beach.
Defendant: Cynthia Roberta Strange, 64, Irvine
Charged on Oct. 4, 2018, with:
- One felony count of murder
- Sentencing Enhancement
- Special Circumstance – Murder for financial gain
Minimum Sentence: Life in state prison without the possibility of parole
Continued Arraignment on Oct. 19, 2018, time to be determined at Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- On or about Sept. 4, 2018, Cynthia Strange, the victim’s daughter, is accused of murdering 92-year-old Ruth Strange for financial gain at the victim’s home in Huntington Beach.
- At approximately 11:00 a.m. on Sept. 4, 2018, officers from the Huntington Beach Police Department (HBPD) responded to the victim’s home for a welfare check after a reporting party stated they were unable to contact her.
- HBPD officers discovered Ruth Strange deceased in the pool of her home. The victim’s cause of death was drowning and she had multiple cuts on her head. HBPD investigated this case as a homicide.
- On Oct. 2, 2018, HBPD arrested Cynthia Strange.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Eric Scarbrough, Homicide Unit.