June 19, 2018
SANTA ANA, Calif. – Law enforcement is seeking potential additional victims of a doctor who is charged with sending sexually motivated messages to cheerleaders at a high school where he served as a volunteer.
Defendant: David Lee Haller, 51, Newport Beach
Charged on June 18, 2018, with the following misdemeanor counts:
- (2) Child annoyance
Maximum Sentence: Two years in county jail
Arraignment scheduled for June 26, 2018, at 8:30 a.m.Case # 18HM08176 at Department H-8, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Haller was a medical doctor and a volunteer with the University of California, Irvine (UCI) Spirit Squad cheerleading team. The defendant also volunteered as a doctor at several athletic events at Newport Harbor High School (NHHS) from October to December 2017.
- On Aug. 30, 2017, Haller is accused of messaging NHHS cheerleader Jane Doe 1 on Instagram in Jane Doe 1 on Instagram in a sexually motivated and inappropriate manner.
- On Oct. 27, 2017, the defendant is accused of contacting NHHS cheerleader Jane Doe 2 on Snapchat in a similar sexually motivated and inappropriate manner.
- The victims contacted the Newport Beach Police Department (NBPD), who investigated this case and identified Haller with assistance from the UCI Police Department.
- Anyone with additional information or who believes they are a victim is asked to contact Orange County District Attorney’s Office Supervising Investigator Paul Carvo at 714-834-5025.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Stephanie Caughlin.