ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
Case # 17HF0707
Date: May 30, 2017
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A youth ministry mentor was charged today with committing lewd acts on two junior high school boys.
Defendant: Ruven Meulenberg, 32, Lake Forest
- Three felony counts of lewd acts on a child
- Two felony counts of lewd acts on a child under age 14
Sentencing enhancement: Multiple victims
Continued arraignment: June 9, 2017, 10:00 a.m. at Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana
Bail: $1 million
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Meulenberg is accused of being a volunteer youth mentor at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest in a position of trust with access to children.
- Between May 2016 and May 2017, Meulenberg is accused of committing lewd acts on 13-year-old boys John Doe 1 and John Doe 2, both on and off church property.
- Between May 18, 2017, and May 22, 2017, the defendant is again accused of sexually molesting the victims, who were then 14 years old.
- On May 24, 2017, a Saddleback Church representative reported suspected inappropriate conduct to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD), who investigated this case.
- Meulenberg was arrested by OCSD on Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Courtney Thom, Sexual Assault Unit
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson