ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 17WF1095
Date May 25, 2017
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A woman was arraigned today for killing a pedestrian while driving under the influence of prescription medications with children in the backseat.
Defendant: Anna Marie McPherson, 45, Irvine
Charged on May 17, 2017, with the following felony counts:
- Gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated
- (2) Child abuse and endangerment
Maximum Sentence: 12 years and eight months in state prison
Court Date: Pre-Trial set for June 22, 2017, 8:30 a.m. at Department W-1, West Justice Court, Westminster
Circumstances of the Case:
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on June 10, 2016, Mcpherson is accused of driving southbound on the 55 freeway as it turns into Newport Boulevard with two children in her vehicle.
- As traffic slowed, the defendant is accused of veering right onto the sidewalk and striking two light poles, a bus bench, and 64-year-old John Doe.
- Costa Mesa Police Department (CMPD) arrived to the scene and arrested Mcpherson for driving under the influence of drugs (DUID).
- At the time of the crime, Mcpherson is accused of possessing multiple prescription bottles in her vehicle.
- The victim was transported to Orange County Global Medical Center, where he died as a result of his injuries.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Daniel Feldman, Homicide Unit
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson