ICE launching national cyber safety campaign to help protect kids from online sexual predators
Goal of Project iGuardian – teach young people to ‘think before you click’
MISSION VIEJO, Calif. – Determined to curb the escalating number of children falling prey to sexual predators online, representatives from federal and local law enforcement, along with a leading children’s advocacy organization, will hold a news conference Tuesday at an Orange County middle school to formally launch Project iGuardian, a first-of-its-kind national cyber safety campaign spearheaded by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). Using super hero-style characters and trading cards developed expressly for Project iGuardian, law enforcement personnel will visit schools and youth groups across the country to give parents and kids hands-on tips on how to avoid falling victim to online sexual predators.
EVENT: News Conference
DATE/TIME: Tuesday, March 25
10 a.m. PDT – News conference
10:40 – 11 a.m. – (photo op) Project iGuardian cyber safety presentation
Noon – Live shots with presser participants available upon request
LOCATION: Newhart Middle School – 25001 Veterans Way, Mission Viejo, Calif.
- Daniel Ragsdale, Deputy Director, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- “James” – via video – parent of online sextortion victim
- Michelle Collins, Vice President of Exploited Children’s Division, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC)
- Sandra Hutchens, Sheriff, Orange County
- Anna Bryson – Capistrano Unified School District Board of Trustees
- Martha McNicholas, President, Capistrano Unified Council of Parent, Teacher, Student Association
- Barbara Gonzalez, ICE Press Secretary, will be available for Spanish interviews
Editor’s note: High res video of other recent Project iGuardian presentations, and video excerpts from ICE’s interview with a Georgia father of a teen sextortion victim, will be available for download from the Defense Video and Imagery Distribution System (DVIDS) website – http://www.dvidshub.net/feature/iGuardianlaunch – beginning at 2 p.m. today [PDT]. Search ICE- Project iGuardian.
# ICE #