Autism Speaks to Host Inclusion Events to Support Local Autism Community
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
IRVINE, CA—To raise awareness for autism, Autism Speaks will host multiple disability-friendly events, including the 10th anniversary Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks on November 16 in Irvine. Upcoming events include:
Electronic Recycling Fundraiser for Autism Speaks, September 21, 2013, 10am to 2:30pm, Parking lot behind Bourbon Street, 114 E. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton. Recycle Your City’s “E-Waste for Autism” program accepts items including cell phones, VCRs and computers, and a portion of each item donated will benefit Autism Speaks.
Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks Kick-Off, September 21, 2013, 11am to 1:30pm. Historic Fullerton Ballroom, 2nd Floor, 114 E. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton.
With a California surf theme, event speakers include:
- Izzy Paskowitz, co-founder of Surfers Healing, father to a son with autism, and author of “Scratching the Horizon”
- Brian Gutierrez, California State Councilmember for the State Council on Developmental Disabilities, will present a special recognition to Paskowitz; Executive Director of Southern California Autism Speaks Matthew Asner; Senior Director of Field Development for Autism Speaks Southern California Pam Eisenberg, and OC Autism Walk Publicist Jess Block, for their service to the autism community. Recognition from Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and a California Congressional Award will also be presented.
- David Sharif, 16, with autism, whose speech on autism was created into “My Name is David,” a claymation video here.
10th Anniversary Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks, November 16, 2013, 9am. Orange County Great Park, El Toro Field, 6990 Marine Way, Irvine.
An anticipated 8,500 autism supporters and families affected by autism will unite for the 10th anniversary Orange County Autism Walk.
ABOUT ORANGE COUNTY WALK NOW FOR AUTISM SPEAKS:
The 10th annual Orange County Walk Now for Autism Speaks will be held November 16, 2013 at the Orange County Great Park, El Toro Field at 6990 Marine Way in Irvine, CA. Service Champions Heating & Air Conditioning is the 10th anniversary presenting sponsor. The 2012 Orange County Autism Walk hosted 8,500 people and raised $255,000. Like on Facebook here.
ABOUT AUTISM SPEAKS:
Autism Speaks is the nation’s largest autism advocacy organization, dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, autism now affects about 1 in every 88 American children, including 1 in 54 boys. Autism is a complex condition that affects a person’s ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges.
For more information contact:
- Jess Block, Autism Speaks Southern California Publicist, 909-706 8525, JessBlockPR@gmail.com,
- Pam Eisenberg, Senior Director of Field Development for Southern California Autism Speaks, 310-948-4426, firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Jennifer Jones, Manager of Field Development for Southern California Autism Speaks, 323-297-4757, Jennifer.email@example.com,
- Public Information, firstname.lastname@example.org, 323-549-0500 x74765.