The early results are in and it looks like Irvine City Councilwoman Melissa Fox is heading to the State Assembly. She is currently leading in the race for the 68th Assembly District, over incumbent Republican Steven Choi, by about 5% points.
Irvine Mayor Christina Shea, another Republican, is losing badly to her Democratic challenger, Irvine City Councilwoman Farrah Khan, by 20 percentage points.
In the race for the Irvine City Council the early leaders are: Tammy Kim, Lauren Johnson-Norris and Larry Agran. Incumbent Mike Carroll is in fourth place and it looks like he will lose his seat.
The Democrats are holding on to the local House seats in the early results:
- Gil Cisneros is leading with 52% of the vote in the 39th District, over Republican Young Kim – that margin could be larger as that District includes voters in L.A. County who typically vote Democrat
- Katie Porter is leading with over 60% of the vote in the 45th District, over Republican Greg Raths
- Lou Correa is leading with over 72% of the vote in the 46th District over Republican James Walters
- Harley Rouda is leading with over 55% of the vote in the 48th District over Republican Michelle Steel
- Mike Levin is leading with over 51% of the vote in the 49th District over Republican Brian Maryott, however that vote is misleading as that District includes voters in San Diego County who typically vote Democrat
Here are the early results in the State Legislative races:
- Republican Janet Nguyen is losing to Democrat Diedre Nguyen in the race for the 72nd Assembly District by a margin of a couple percentage points. This race is still very close.
- Tom Daly, the incumbent in the 69th Assembly District, is leading comfortably over Trumper Jon Paul White with over 75% of the vote.
- Irvine City Councilwoman Melissa Fox, a Democrat, is leading in the race for the 68th Assembly District over incumbent Steven Choi by about 5 percentage points
- Josh Newman is leading the Republican incumbent, Ling Ling Chang, with 56% of the vote in the 29th State Senate District
- In a shocker incumbent Republican John Moorlach is losing to Democratic challenger Dave Min in the 37th District by about 14 percentage points