Public Information Meetings for the I-5 Irvine Tustin Project have been set for Jan. 26, 2015, from 5 to 8 pm, at the Cypress Community Park’s Multi-purpose room, at 255 Visions, in Irvine and on Jan. 28, 2015, from 5 to 8 pm, at Tustin High School’s cafeteria, located at 1171 El Camino Real, in Tustin.
WHAT IS THE I-5 IRVINE TUSTIN PROJECT?
The I-5 Irvine Tustin Project is a preliminary engineering and environmental study intended to evaluate ways to improve the I-5 between I-405 and SR-55, in the cities of Irvine and Tustin. Currently, about 350,000 motorists drive this nine-mile stretch every day. By 2040, daily traffic volumes are projected to increase to nearly ½ million, so planning for this growth is important to Orange County’s mobility, economy and quality of life.
The study is being conducted by OCTA and Caltrans, and will consider alternatives that improve the freeway directly, as well as key interchanges in the project area. In order to introduce the project to the public, two public information meetings will be offered so that members of the public can learn about the project and share their comments. The I-5 Irvine Tustin Project is part of Measure M, Orange County’s voter-approved transportation investment plan.
Purpose and Need
The purpose of the proposed project is to address existing and future traffic demand on I-5 from I-405 to SR-55. The proposed project will address congestion and enhance freeway operations as follows:
- Increase the mainline/freeway capacity within the project limits along the I-5 corridor
- Improve the capacity of the ramps within the project limits along the I-5 corridor
- Improve operational deficiencies of merge and diverge areas within the project limits along the I-5 corridor
- Improve the existing auxiliary lanes operations, and Optimize access of the existing HOV lane
- The goal of the proposed project is to also minimize environmental impacts as well as right-of-way (ROW) acquisitions within the project limits.
WHY SHOULD I ATTEND A PUBLIC MEETING?
The I-5 Irvine Tustin Project is about YOUR DRIVE AND YOUR COMMUNITY. If you drive I-5 and/or live or work in Irvine or Tustin, these public information meetings are a great opportunity to:
- Learn about the project’s scope of adding a general purpose lane in each direction, schedule and the environmental review process.
- Meet the project team and discuss the proposed alternative concepts.
- Provide your comments, concerns or ideas for improving the I-5 within the study area. Comments will be considered in the Final Environmental Document.
- Get to know the project team and technical experts as the study kicks-off and moves forward.
Get & Stay Connected
- (714) 560-5556
- Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/I5IrvineTustinProject
- Follow us on Twitter: @I5IrvineTustin