FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kelly Kloepping, 562.522.8554, firstname.lastname@example.org
Fountain Valley and Irvine to Draw in More than 4,000 for Championship Games
Scrubs Actor John C. McGinley and Olympic Gold Medalist Rafer Johnson to Make Appearance
***Saturday, December 14 – Sunday, December 15***
Special Olympics Southern California (SOSC) Fall Games (www.sosc.org/fallgames) is expected to attract more than 4,000 athletes, coaches, volunteers, and spectators over the course of the two-day event. Athletes from San Luis Obispo to San Diego counties in Southern California will compete for gold, silver and bronze medals, while families, friends, and volunteers cheer them on including “Scrubs” actor John C. McGinley, Global Ambassador for Special Olympics.
Special Olympics Southern California will host one of its largest and most anticipated competitions of the year on Dec. 14 and 15 in Fountain Valley and Irvine. The games feature six sports: bowling, floor hockey, soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball.
WHERE & WHEN:
– Bowling: Saturday from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Fountain Bowl (17110 Brookhurst St., Fountain Valley)
– Floor Hockey: Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at The RINKS – Irvine Inline (3150 Barranca Pkwy, Irvine)
– Soccer, softball, tennis, and volleyball: Saturday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Fountain Valley Recreation Center and Sports Park (16400 Brookhurst St., Fountain Valley)
INTERVIEW & VISUALS:
– Olympic Gold Medalist and SOSC Founder Rafer Johnson will attend Saturday competitions
– “Scrubs” TV show actor John C. McGinley, global ambassador for Special Olympics, will be promoting the importance of regular hearing screenings as he works alongside Phonak and their extensive support of supplying hearing aids for the athletes. Global sponsor the Hear the World Foundation and USA sponsor Phonak have donated more than 2,000 hearing aids to Healthy Hearing, worth a value of more than $3 million.
– Volunteer healthcare professionals and students provide podiatry, hearing, optometry, dental, dietary, and fitness screenings for the athletes in a welcoming and fun environment. Athletes can receive free health screenings at Wyndham Irvine, Fountain Valley Recreation Center, and The RINKS- Irvine Inline for the athletes on Friday 3 p.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., and Sunday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
– Some of the things you’ll see at Expo Park include CVS’s “Create Your Own Scrapbook” booth, arts-n-crafts sponsored by the California Mentor Network, Coca-Cola’s fun games and giveaways, hot lunches, and last but not least, SOSC’s brand new merchandise company VeerOut Dynamics Inc., who will be selling some “hot off the press” clothing and customized designs.
– The 2013 Fall Games are made possible with the help of 300 coaches, 2,000 volunteers, and generous contributions from individuals and corporate sponsors, including California Mentor, Mattel, CVS/Caremark, and Finish Line.
Founded in 1969 by Olympic decathlon gold medalist Rafer Johnson, Special Olympics Southern California offers opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities to participate in year-round sports training and competition. More than 14,000 athletes and 15,000 coaches and volunteers take part in 12 Olympic-style sports. For more information, visit www.sosc.org.